Wednesday, January 7, 2015

2015 is a good year for blogging (I hope)

It's an odd day to revive the blog. It's blustery (winds of up to 30mph) and very cold ("feels like -10 degrees F" with an actual temperature of 4 degrees F) tonight. I'm sitting at my coffee table (every other surface is strewn with books and papers for other things) trying to finish up an Enclyclopedia entry on, of all things, "Colonialism and Internal Colonialism". For which I have a grand total of 5,000 words to work with. It's been pretty dire.

Then, there is the shooting in Paris. You can do a quick Google and read all about that elsewhere. I want to just post this here (I posted it on Facebook but figured it's best to annoy other people--the general public, as it were):


So, have we just given up condemning/reporting (had to dig into the "Africa" section of the Beeb for this) killings that happen outside of "the West"? Or, is it because this doesn't have the romance of plucky-newspaper-fighting-for-free-speech? It does have plucky young people lining up to protect their fellows/etc. 

In short (or, in long): who do "we" identify with (Charlie!) = our perceptions of who is a(t) threat (US! and those-other people *are* the threat) = formation of suspect communities/continuation of discrimination against specific people. /end rant.

This is the news story that started it off: 37 killed by a bomb in Yemen

Future posts--I'll try be fairly regular--will, like before, note my observations about life here where I live, have stories of Dog and comments on (some) news stories and (a lot of) popular culture. 

No comments:

Post a Comment