Tuesday, January 26, 2016

On Johnny Walker(s)

Things are heating up on the uni front, with job searches (I'm on two search committees) and slight panic about dodgy technologies during teaching--again, the usual. I have thoughts about the new season of Agent Carter but will wait till it's over before sharing them. In the meantime, here's a classic: my granddad wasn't much of a Bollywood films person (my best memories of him are of us watching cricket and arguing over tactics) but he loved his Scotch. And he loved this film (Pyaasa). The guy who plays the comic barber in this clip is Johnny Walker (the actor, obviously). His story is pretty unusual too--a rags to riches tale often found in Bollywood fantasies but not that often in real Bollywood life.






Unlike the majority of Nepalis, I don't understand Hindi too well. I can get by and can make sense of what's being said (sort of) but the nuances of dialogues pass me by. That being said, this film is one of the best and it's pretty revolutionary for its time. The hero ends up with a prostitute. He denounces materiality and capitalism (well, not in *those* words but...). The songs are divine. If you get a chance, do watch it.

Here's a more romantic song: Hum Aapke Aankhon Me (which I reckon is: in your eyes, I'll place my heart)


No comments:

Post a Comment